Re: Redefining Staff.instr

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Redefining Staff.instr
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:11:27 -0700

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi, Christopher:

I'm typesetting a wind quintet where the first staff moves between
flute and piccolo. At any given movement, the staff should be labeled
with the relevant instrument.

I just sponsored this feature -- it is included in the current development version [2.9.15].

A stable version which includes this feature will be released some time in the future, though I don't know exactly when.
Han-Wen would know better...  =)
Either way it's good to use \markup to let the player know at the end of the section for one instrument that s/he needs to change instruments. As a doubler I have never missed the feature Kieren has sponsored (not that the feature isn't a very useful feature) because the player often needs to be warned as soon as possible and may even not notice the instrument name at the beginning of the line. This feature would be very useful for the score but the parts don't usually get labelled on every line.

Excuse me if you were already aware of this.

Paul Scott