ossia trick solved

From: Jean-marc LEGRAND
Subject: ossia trick solved
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:40:50 +0200

Hi list !

I've been working hard ;o) on my ossia trick, and I've found how to reproduce a
french cantata
excerpt.
Using lily 2.8.3 on XP.

What I have to engrave :
The piece of music is a french recitative, introduced buy the viol on a single
line (10 measures).
Then, we have the recitative itself (viol + voice)
Then the viol alone again
Then the voice and the viol.
The last 9 measures are played only buy the viol.

I have a viol, a voice, and lyrics.

When the viol plays alone, the voice line on the fac simile disappear.

How i managed this :
I have used the 8.3.2 hiding staves trick, which is described for instruments
without lyrics.
Here's the structure of my ly file :

\version "2.8.3"
\layout {
indent = 0.0\cm                     -----> let me explain this below...
\context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }
}

<<
\new Staff = soprano {
\override Score.VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
\clef G
\time 2/2
\relative c'' {
R4                            -------> R and not r !!!
R1*10                         -------> doesn't appear on the final score
(that's what i want !)
r2 r4 g
c c8 d e4 e8 c (...)
}}

\addlyrics { (...)}

\\new Staff = bass {
\time 2/2
\clef alto
\relative c' {
\partial 4*1 g4
c c8 d e4 c  (...)
}}

<<
the same thing for the second part

Some comments :

- I'd like to have the whole score between << >> but I had to split the score
into two parts to get
it work. That's why I have put indent = 0.0\cm (otherwise, I had an ident for
the second part)

Is there a way to do so ?

- the order of the staves is important to get the lyrics below the soprano and
not below the bass
(THIS is the main point I've working on !)

I hope this will help somebody !

Best regards

Jmarc