How to shorten up a one measure markup score?

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: How to shorten up a one measure markup score?
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:06:11 -0700 (PDT)

I'd like to use the capability of embedding a score into markup, to indicate
to the player how certain things are notated on the page.  In the example
below I am doing that to indicate how string and finger numbers will appear.

My question is: Is there a way to shorten up the measure in the one measure
\markup score?  It appears to be adding a fair amount of padding after the
whole note and I'd like to force it to print the ending bar immediately
because this is just helper markup.

The example below will run as-is, just paste and go, it's an interesting
problem if anyone has a moment to try out the code below.  I've tried
several things to no avail.

thanks Rick

% BEGIN SAMPLE

\version "2.8.5"
\include "english.ly"

varMeter = \markup {
\score {
       \new Staff \with {
            stringNumberOrientations = #'(left)
            fingeringOrientations = #'(right)
            \remove Time_signature_engraver
            \remove Clef_engraver
            fontSize = -6.0
            \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -6.0)
            \override StringNumber #'font-size = #-6
            \override Fingering #'font-size = #-6
            \override Fingering #'padding = #0.6
            instrument = \markup { \override #'(baseline-skip . .7) \column
{ "string" "finger" } }
            }
            { \relative c' <c\5 e-3 g-0 c-1>1 }
       \layout {
            ragged-right = ##t
            ragged-last = ##t
            ragged-bottom = ##t
            ragged-last-bottom = ##t
            indent = 0.0\in

% MAIN SCORE

\header {
        title = "Just A Lilypond Song"
        subtitle = \markup { \smaller "How can I shorten up the measure of
the smaller (meter markup score) below?" }
        meter = \markup { \varMeter }
        tagline = " "
}

\score {

\new Staff \with {
            stringNumberOrientations = #'(left)
            fingeringOrientations = #'(right)
            \override StringNumber #'font-size = #-6
            \override Fingering #'font-size = #-6
            \override Fingering #'padding = #0.6
            }
{