Capo chords

From: Tim Packer
Subject: Capo chords
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 20:03:28 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

I hope I'm not missing something obvious, but I couldn't see anything on this in either the archives or the documentation....

I'm notating music with a melody and guitar chords to be played with a capo on the guitar, and I'd like to include two chord names at each point: the actual chord and the chord shape played, for example "C (A)" for a piece played with a capo on the guitar at the 3rd fret (meaning the shape used is A major, but the chord sounded is C major, because the guitar is transposed up 3 semitones by the capo).

By using ChordNames and \transpose I can include *either* of these, but I can't find a way to include both (putting in a second ChordNames environment leads to the software trying to work out a chord that's a combination of the transposed and untransposed notes!). I suppose I could hack it with manual text, but that would be icky.

I'm using Lilypond 2.2.6, but I'd be happy to upgrade if there's a solution in a later version.

Any suggestions?

If this isn't a currently available feature, I'd suggest it would be a useful thing to implement, as capo chords are very common in popular music books.

Thanks for your time,

        Tim
        =-=