Re: Key Signatures on Lilypond

From: Eyolf Ostrem
Subject: Re: Key Signatures on Lilypond
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:21:02 +0200

On Wed 13 September 2006 14:42, Markus Schneider wrote:
> Hi Karen,
>
> > appears without an accidental sign before it.  That's OK for notes
> > needing accidentals, but in keys with 2 or more sharps or flats it's a
> > lot more
>
> typing!!
>
> if you want to save typing, you can always use your text editor's search
> and replace after you put in all your notes. Maybe even create a macro for
> different keys...

Or use the lyqi mode in emacs. It will remember the previous version of a
scale step, so you only have to change b to bes once, and the interface will
remember it the next time you press the "b" key.
It's a wonderful tool: the principle is that if nothing else is specified, a
new input will take over whatever previous values you have entered: if the
previous note was a "4" the next will be, if you have lowered b to bes
before, the next "b" will become "bes" etc. For the input, you 'play' the
notes as if it was on a real keyboard, and most things are one or two key
presses. I have the notes in the scale mapped to asdfwer=cdefgab and the
rhythms to h=whole, j=half, k=quarter, l=eighth, Flat=c, sharp=v, etc. It's
not the default layout, but a touch-typist one - I can write whole pieces
without even looking at what i'm doing (because there is sounding feedback
too). So the first time I want to enter a b flat half note, I press "rcj",
the next time "r" is enough.
It's the only reason I use emacs, but it's a good one. And it's the only thing
I use emacs for... Can someone please port it to vim...? :-)

Eyolf

--
But you'll notice Perl has a goto.
             -- Larry Wall in <address@hidden>