Re: partcombine not giving joy for hymns

From: Eduardo Vieira
Subject: Re: partcombine not giving joy for hymns
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:46:28 -0300

Hi,

I have found that \partcombine is not the ideal tool for hymns if you follow this convention: soprano and alto in the same staff as chords, if the interval is of a second or unison, then the stems are split (soprano, stem up; alto, stem down).
Now you have to choices: either typeset the voices like chords (which is bit harder), and add new voice layer for the splitted parts. Or use something as the example file below:
This file is a 4-part arrangement in wich soprano and alto are typeset separately, and tenor and bass like chords.
Check the answer Mats gave in the thread "Stemming for Hymnal" on May 23, 2005 for a better understanding on this (I'm offline now and don't have the link, but had this page saved in my reference files). One setback is that when there is a tie, you'll have to override the tie direction to obtain the same results as if you were typessetting chords.
Hope this helps while \partcombine is revised.

%%%% EXAMPLE %%%

%% Sorry for the messy style %%

\version "2.8.0"
#(ly:set-option 'point-and-click #f)
#(set-global-staff-size 16)

\header {
title = "Give Me Oil in My Lamp"
}
% \include "nederlands.ly"
versum= \lyricmode {
\set stanza = "1."
Give me oil in my lamp, oil in my lamp,
Give me oil in my lamp I pray;
Give me oil in my lamp, keep me shin -- ing in the camp,
Un -- til the break of day.
}

global = {
\key g \major
\time 4/4
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'()
\set Staff.autoBeaming = ##f
}
sop = \relative c'' {
\partial 8*2
d8 d
d4 b8 b b2
a4 g8 e g4 e8 e
%3
d4 g8 a b4 d
%4
a2.
%pb
\bar "" \break
d8 d
d4 b8 b b4 g8 g
a g g e g4 g
b4. g8 b4 a
g2.

}

alto = \relative c'' {
\partial 8*2
g8 g
g4 g8 g g2
e4 e8 c e4 c8 c
b4 d8 d d4 d
d2.
g8 g
g4 g8 g g4 << { } \\ { f8 f } >>
% \oneVoice
e e e c e4 e
d4. d8 g4 fis
d2.

}

basten = \relative c' {
\partial 8*2
< g b >8
< g b >8
< g b >4
< g d' >8
< g d' >8
< g d' >2
< c, c' >4
< c c' >8
< c g' >8
< c c' >4
< c g' >8
< c g' >8
< g g' >4
< b g' >8
< d fis >8
<< { g4 } \\ { g4 } >>
< b, g' >4
< d fis >2.
< g b >8
< g b >8
< g b >4
< g d' >8
< g d' >8
< g d' >4
< g b >8
< g b >8
< c, c' >8
< c c' >8
< c c' >8
< c g' >8
< c c' >4
< c g' >4
< d g >4.
< d b' >8
< d d' >4
< d c' >4
< g, b' >2.
\bar "|."
}

\score { \context ChoirStaff <<
\set ChoirStaff.systemStartDelimiter = #'SystemStartBar
\override ChoirStaff.SystemStartBar #'thickness = #4
\override ChoirStaff.SystemStartBar #'padding = #0.5
\context Staff = mulh {
\global
\context Voice = mel << \voiceOne \sop \alto >>
}
\context Lyrics = stum { \lyricsto mel \versum }
\context Staff = hom {
\clef bass
\global
\context Voice = melb { \basten }
}

\midi {
}
\layout {
indent = 0.0\cm

\context {
\Lyrics
\override LyricText #'font-size = #-1
\override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-1 . 1.8)
\override LyricSpace #'minimum-distance = #0.6
}
\context {
\Score
\remove Bar_number_engraver

\override PaperColumn #'keep-inside-line = ##t
\paper { paper-width = 5.5\in
paper-height = 8.5\in
between-system-space = 0.85\cm
between-system-padding = 0.2\cm