Re: identifiers

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: identifiers
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:28:47 +0200

Quoting Mike Amundsen <address@hidden>:

While creating identifiers for fret diagrams I found the identifiers
can be alpha only. I've searched the archives to see if there was a
discussion that described the reasons for that constraint. I'd guess
it's for reasons of simplicity and/or something to do with the
interoperability of C and Scheme.

My guess is that the problem rather is that numbers are used for durations in the music, so it's probably a matter of parser complexity.

This limitation was introduced many years ago and we had other mailing list names at that time, so I'm afraid the archives
may be lost.

I hope you have found that the limitation is described in the manual, in the section on "File structure".

Thanks to all who have contributed to the development of lilypond. I'm
still a beginner but having lots of fun creating some great looking
output.

  /Mats