Re: Wishlist for Guitar (or string) features (newbie!)

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Wishlist for Guitar (or string) features (newbie!)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:58:16 -0700 (PDT)

I have just sponsored some new guitar related items, and inadvertantly some
tab clean-up items that will be in future release.

I understand your idea, but I would also argue that using notes instead of
hard-coded fret and string numbers is the way to go.

This way your output can participate in transposition and you can re-use the
notes you coded on a regular staff for those who dont read Tab.  Just me,
but I find it more natural to both code lilypond and to think of the
fretboard in terms of notes instead of fret/string coordinates, it just
makes more musical sense to me, as I can relate note names directly to
harmony, resolutons and voice movement in my mind with more clarity than I
can numbers representing strings and frets.  There already exists syntax for
specifying a string number that can be appended to a note <a\6> to give any
algorithm a hint as to what string/fret to play notes that may exist in
multiple places on the fretboard.  From <a\6> one can calculate the fret
number based on the open string tuning property of the staff which will of
course differ for all fretted instruments.  For standard guitar tuning <a\6>
fret number 5 would be calculated in this case.

But if you want to pitch in I will also participate in any future fretted
instrument enhancements (monetarily, requirement definition, and
design/test) that others see a pressing need for or want to colabborate(sp)
on.

Rick