Re: Numbering exercises; overriding defaults; points for clefs.

From: Manuel
Subject: Re: Numbering exercises; overriding defaults; points for clefs.
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:01:58 +0100

Am 29/11/2006 um 12:46 schrieb Arvid Grøtting:

Manuel <libros <at> limay.de> writes:

I take a different view on this matter. I think that painting was the
first way of writing, letters being a later development. The first
attempts to typesetting music were clumsy indeed, but even now, when
typeset music is quite good, no printed score can equal the beauty
of, say, Bach's handwriting.

That may be true for Bach. Allow me to introduce Grieg as a counter-example.
Many of his manuscripts are available here:

http://www.bergen.folkebibl.no/grieg-samlingen/grieg- samlingen_komposisjoner.html

While his music is certainly excellent, I would not like Lilypond to imitate his
handwriting in any way.

Arvid

Well, look at the title and first page of this Grieg:

http://www.bergen.folkebibl.no/cgi-bin/websok-grieg

(and thanks for the very interesting link to Grieg's music). His word writing is very beautiful. His music writing has a terrific rhythm, is very armonious, and manages in an impossible-but-real way to express the interpretation of the piece.

To be sure, no typesetting whatsoever should or could try to imitate it, for it follows no predeterminated, abstract-general rule.

Nevertheless, that was not, of course, my point. No, do not imitate ugly things, nor the hardly legible handwriting of certain manuscripts of Telemann or Vivaldi... but do look at nature and beauty as your teacher of reality.

Manuel