Re: proportional notation screws up score

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: proportional notation screws up score
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:19:14 -0600

On 12/3/06, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
Orm Finnendahl escreveu:
> Hi Trevor, Han-Wen,
>
> thanks a lot for your efforts to help me out and thanks a lot for your
> ideas and thoughts! Sorry if I sounded desperate. Trevor's post seems
> to indicate that it might not work out to get everything perfectly
> aligned (although I was very close for the first three lines before
> the spacing engine freaked out).  I can live with that at the moment
> if I can get it "roughly" correct by aligning the barlines of the
> graph and the music at every tempo change for example. The musicians
> will have a rehearsal CD anyway to relate their playing to the tape.
>
> If I got it right, I should skip the whole idea of changing the value
> of the proportionalNoteDuration during the piece.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. How do I change the spacing-increment in mid-music?
>
> I tried \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'space-increment = #2.8
>
> but this seems to set the spacing increment once and for all. Changing

look for

New spacing area

in the manual.

Hi Orm,

We added the \newSpacingSection command during 2.9 and it's now
described in section 11.4.2 of the 2.10 manual.

A confession: I sponsored the word on \newSpacingSection but haven't
in fact used it in a real piece (though the need is coming in the next
couple of weeks in the current piece I'm working on). So, I can't make
any rock-solid promises on the effect of \newSpacingSection, however
my impession is this: use \newSpacingSection anywhere in mid-input
that you want to be able to reset the attributes of the the spacing
spanner (Score.SpacingSpanner). This should be useful in proportional
scores because it lets you reset the spacing-increment attribute.
(Normally you can only set SpacingSpanner attributes once in a piece;
the \newSpacingSection command is the way around this previous
restriction.)

I haven't played wtih spacing-increment much, but it seems like
spacing-increment = #2 is the basic idea behind proportional notation,
right? (Double duration == double spacing.) So, if that assumption is
correct, I'm not really sure why we would want to tweak
spacing-increment (instead of just leaving it always set to #2).

Oh, unless tweaking spacing-increment is the way to effect spacing
changes at each of the timesignature changes in the violin piece. (If
that does turn out to work, could you post back to the list?)

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden