Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:54:14 -0800

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Werner LEMBERG wrote:
  \tuplet 3:2 {...}

One minor detail is that the name isn't exactly appropriate when you
do
\set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4)
\times 2/3 {c8 d e f e d e f g f e d }>>>
I thought the proposal was to completely get rid of \times and replace it
by \tuplet (which I think is a good idea). Just wanted to see if anybody
had any bright idea on a command name that's accurate also in this
special case.

I have a bright idea: it's a special case. New users will be encouraged to write \tuplet 3:2 {c8 d e} \tuplet 3:2 { f e d} \tuplet 3:2 {e f g} \tuplet 3:2 { f e d}

(that's what I do all the time anyway)

Advanced users who read the program reference to discover the tupletSpannerduration can deal with the extra complexity. :)

... hmm, what about allowing
\tuplet 3:2 {c8 d e} \tuplet { f e d}

i.e. as well as remembering the duration 8, remember the value of \tuplet.

Cheers,
- Graham