RE: Polyphony doubleslurs to chord

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: Polyphony doubleslurs to chord
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:18:06 -0000

Ezequiel

Slurs operate only within a single Voice context, whereas
one of your slurs would need to operate across two different
Voices - Voice "1" before the \\ and Voice "2" after the
\\ - in the way you have written it.

You can achieve the double slur which I think you want by
moving the 'c' from the '<a c>' chord into Voice "1", and
putting a slur in each of the two Voices, as follows (see
1.png):

\version "2.8.6"
\score {
 \relative c''
 << { c8( [ d8 ] c4) } \\ { fis4( a) } >>
}
\layout {ragged-right = ##t}

Putting the 'c' in Voice "1" seems better musically, but if
you really wish to keep the <a c> as a chord with a single
stem, you need a fiddle - hide the c4 in Voice "1" (leaving
it there to terminate the slur) and put the 'c' back in the
chord in Voice "2" (see 2.png):

\version "2.8.6"
\score {
 \relative c''
 << { c8( [ d8 ] \hideNotes c4) } \\ { fis4( <a c>) } >>
}
\layout {ragged-right = ##t}

Double slurs operate only in a single voice, so they don't
help here where the differing rhythms require two Voices.

HTH

Trevor