Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 07:56:52 -0800 (PST)

Brett Duncan-2 wrote:

> Here's a different idea: instead of specifying the ratio for a tuplet or
> set of tuplets, what about specifying the duration of a tuplet, and
> letting LP determine what number appears over the beam?
>
> For example, where we now use
>     \times 2/3 { a8 b c }
> to get a triplet of three quavers in the time of two, instead have
>     \tuplet 4 { a8 b c }
> LP can calculate the ratio (and hence what should appear over the
> tuplet) from the time given before the {...} and the cumulative time of
> the notes inside the {...}.
>
> This would mean that users do not need to work out the ratio, they just
> need to know how long the tuplet should last. Further to this idea would
> be to allow an internal division inside the {...}, so that multiple
> tuplets could be entered, maybe something like \tuplet 4 { a8 b c ! c4
> a8 ! b8 c4 }. (I've used  !  only for explaining the idea - I'm NOT
> advocating it as the desired syntax.)
>
> This would mean that for the Beethoven snippet in David Fedoruk's post,
> instead of
>
> bf16[d, f ef] \times 4/5 {d16[ ef f g a]} \times 8/12 {bf32[a c bf d c
> bf a g f g ef]}
>
> you would put
>
> bf16[d, f ef] \tuplet 4 { d16 ef f g a ! bf32a c bf d c bf a g f g ef }
>

> Just a thought!
>
> Brett
> --
> Brett Duncan
> address@hidden
>
> "Always do right - this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
>
> Mark Twain

I have not followed this thread, but as a non-programmer this idea makes
intuitive sense to me.  When playing tuplets a musicians fundamental thought
is always that he consumed the correct duration at the end of the run, no
matter how many notes he were asked to play in between, the duration must be
satisfied correctly.  The "spread" of the notes and/or sub groupings within
that duration can be notated or left to the artist interpretation, thats
just a counter in a bracket.