Re: German translation

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: German translation
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:51:40 +0100

Till Rettig <address@hidden> writes:

> I added the translated files first cathegory as an attachment.

Thanks!  I have included them in GIT, replacing the old de/
tree.

> I was really not sure how to add/commit/what ever them with git. If
> I figure it right then when I add them with git, they get somehow
> locally added, but this does'nt influence the git-repository,
> because I cannot write to it.

Yes, that's correct.  Have a look at the bottom of the README.  The
section called SUBMIT shows how to create patches.

For the next batch of files, please use this method.  Please make sure
that you only add files to the git archive that you are actually
working on, so that you do not submit untranslated files.  I had to
remove a number of english and some empty files from the new-de tree.

> I can of course do the commands in the README
>
> git add <MY-LANGUAGE>/about/index.html
>    git commit -m 'add file' <MY-LANGUAGE>/about/index.html
>
> Add <MY-LANGUAGE> to
>
>  * scripts/translate.py
>  * scripts/format-page.py
>

> but here would be also a question: do I have to change the string 'add
> file' or is it just stable?

That is the commit comment.  You can change it but it should be
informative (and in English).

> And then I called the new language for the moment new-de (and so I
> decided it would be useless to add it to the python-scripts), that
> should be changed to de, and the older files should be removed (or
> somehow merged, if somebody likes their way more). So I hope
> somebody could read over my translation and decide then if it can
> replace the older version.

Very good, but it looks a lot better to me, so I just removed the old
de stuff.

Greetings,
Jan.