Re: Off-Topic: Orchestration Aid

From: Mehmet Okonsar
Subject: Re: Off-Topic: Orchestration Aid
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:20:34 +0200

I see that the topic seems not un-welcomed to the list so I post here..
*********
Thanks for all the replies.
My favorite books on the subject are:
S. Adler's and Ch. Koechlin's ones.
The Korsakoff one seems a little bit outdated for todays orchestral prouesses
I don't know Kennan's. Is there many contemporary examples?

But one jewel which seems unknown here is the Eugene Bozza's big (wall-poster
size) charts of all instruments.
There is 2 sheets to be hang on a wall in front of your work desk and there
you can see all (really all including commonly accepted ambitus(ses) for
vocals) instruments with even the finger charts for strings.
It is so convenient, at a glance you get your answer!

Albeit at a too beginning level for my taste:
http://www.violinonline.com
and its derivatives for viola and cello are not bad..

But what I was seeking is something like a java interactive web site where you
can query those things related to instrumentation, string instruments
fingerboard positions etc..

In a way similar to the following tools I recommend to musicians interested
with it: (12-Tone composing tools and set theory composing utilities)
http://composertools.com/Tools/matrix/MatrixCalc.html
http://composertools.com/Tools/PCSets/setfinder.html
They are nice useful, simple to use..

So wanted to know if someone has found a similar site(s) about instrumentation
or a software..

Regarding the Sibelius' coloration of outranged notes:
I wouldn't go for Sibelius even if it makes me the greatest composer of today,
(it makes me lose my time) even if it was free (in a way it is) or even if
they pay people to use it ..;) no thanks..