Re: User Experience Engineering

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: User Experience Engineering
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 16:14:07 -0500

Hi, Linda (et al.):

I would greatly encourage the project to focus on the user interface
and the user experience if this is to catch on in a large way.

I totally agree: if Lilypond is to "catch on in a large way" (with the less-geeky public), then the UI has to be vastly improved. However, I would much rather the team continue to improve the engine -- as they have been -- rather than focus on a market already dominated (and saturated) by other "more standard" apps.

But of course, that's one of the great things about open source software: if someone feels so inclined, they can do something just like you're suggesting. In other words, feel free to:
    (a) Build a "great" user interface yourself; or,
    (b) Sponsor (i.e., hire) someone else to do it.

I must also second Rick's statement

I stopped using GUI based notation simply because I am, I estimate,
about 50 times more productive with lilypond.

For me, I would say I've seen 15-20x increase in productivity.
(And for the record, I *taught* Finale to undergraduates, so it wasn't from a lack of ability on other applications...)

Best regards,
Kieren.