Usability Question

From: Upro
Subject: Usability Question
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:45:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello!

I have been using Lilypond some years ago, without needs for too good
formattzig, but now I decided to try to make an edition for a major
publisher with lilypond.

However, I have found that there are several issues that I find too time
consuming and complicated to rate lilypond as "professionally usable".

But being an optimist I decided to post some general questions to see what
others think and know.

My example score is some bars for violin by Bach. Let's go!

1. The score has four voises. All have their own stems. I find it extremely
complicated to arrange stems/notes in the same order (right to left), and
stems in the correct direction.
All solutions I have found in the forum are either rather laborious, or
involve programming. I do not have the intention nor the tie to learn scheme
or improve/recover my knowledge of Python to follow this path.

2. I have not found an easy way to change the placement of ties (over or
below the notes)

3. I have also not found a neatly usable command to try to make a score into
one page, or to force a system/line brake.

4. I have not found a way to make a tie from within a polyphonic passage
into a neiboring honophone section. I used a workaraond by keeping the
adjacent passage within the polyphonic sectin, but I would like to find a
way to avoid that.

I include the cntents of my ilypond file, and a jpg of what I would liem to
see.

I would really appreciate concise and useful help. This is for maybe the
most reknowned publisher and could also be a landmark for lilypond - if I
can achioeve my goal with lilypond (and not Sibelius...).

Here are my comments on the file/score:
a) First chord: I would liem to have the same stem direction/order in my
file as in the image (up-up-up-down from top to bottom)
b) Why do the stems in bar 1, second quarter, point upwards AND the tie is
on top?
c) Bar 1, 4th quarter: Again: Why is the tie on top and not on bottom?
d) 2nd bar, first quarter: As in a) I would like to change the order of the
notes.
e) 2nd bar, first quarter: Two tied eight notes c: Why is the tie not closer
to the noteheads?
f) 2nd bar, second tie: Again, it should be on top.

If I have to continue like this for the rest of this opus magnum I' kill
myself ;-)

TIA, upro

#(set-global-staff-size 17)
%     \version "2.10.7"
     \include"deutsch.ly"

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "a4")
}

\header {
        title = \markup \center-align  \italic { "Sonata 1ma a Violino Solo
senza
Basso di J. S. Bach"}
}

     melody = \relative c' {
        \clef treble

        \key g \minor

        \time 4/4

                << { g''4 ~  g32[ f( es d c b a b64 )g] }\\{  b4}\\{d,}\\{
g,}\\>>

                <<  { c'4} \\ \\ { g8[ fis~] fis32[ e( d e fis g a c64 )b]} \\

                 << {fis''4} \\ {c8[( c32) d64( c b32 c] c16.\trill b64 c d16

}

 \score {
        \new Staff \melody
        \layout { }