Re: Can you put dynamic marks in the lyrics?

From: Sietse Brouwer
Subject: Re: Can you put dynamic marks in the lyrics?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:57:02 +0100

Dear all,

I'm sorry for responding so late. I've tried both Bertalan's and
Eduardo's suggestions -- they work -- and here comes the summary of
what I've learned.

If you want to indicate the dynamics (forte, mezzoforte, piano, etc.)
of a verse, then it is possible to set this mark in the "\set stanza"
definition.

(1) Bertalan's suggestion works well, and is IMHO the best solution.
It's based on setting the stanza number *before* entering \lyricmode.
The code:

verse = {
   \set stanza = \markup { \dynamic "f" "1. " }
   \lyricmode {
       Ly -- rics

(2) Eduardo's suggestion, setting the font of StanzaNumber to
fetaDynamic with an override, also works. The disadvantage is that the
fetaDynamic numbers are very different from the default text; so it
looks better to have the number in normal text, and that's not
possible with this method. The code:

\override StanzaNumber #'font-encoding = #'fetaDynamic
      \set stanza = "f 1. "

(3) If the StanzaNumber is too wide then it just extends to the left,
no matter what's in its path. If you've got connected staves, such as
within a ChoirStaff, then the StanzaNumber will tend to collide with
that vertical line that systems have on the left to connect their
staves. I'll file a bug report on this. Example of a Stanzanumber that
"crosses the line":
\markup { \dynamic "mf" "2. " }
Full report in lilypond-bug, of course. (Might be tomorrow.)

(4) You all form an amazingly helpful community. No wonder LilyPond is
improving as quickly as it is! Many thanks. (Köszönöm -- the little
Hungarian I know -- to Bertalan for the best-working solution. ;-)

Regards,

Sietse
Sietse Brouwer

A bunch of keywords, to help future people with this issue find this thread:
dynamic marks in lyrics, stanza, number, stanzanumber, font,
fetaDynamic, override, set, tweak, hack, forte, mezzoforte, piano, f,
mf, p.