Re: Which LilyPond for Mac G3 (Pismo) running OS 10.4.7

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Which LilyPond for Mac G3 (Pismo) running OS 10.4.7
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:19:11 -0700

Valentin Villenave wrote:
2007/1/25, Paul Scott <address@hidden>:
Can someone point me to documention as to which version of Lily I should
on a Mac G3 (Pismo) running OS 10.4.7?  The darwin choices here:
http://lilypond.org/vc/gub.darcs/READ-ME don't necessarily match what I
have.  From the Download page "MacOS X (G3, G4, G5 Macs) 10.3 and newer"
seems to be the right choice.  I unpacked (in the wrong place at first)
and I could execute it from there but it was going to run forever.  I
moved it to /Applications and now I can start Lily but File/Open acts
like it is going to open a file but does not do anything.  I also didn't
find any install command.

AFAIK, there isn't any. You're doing fine : just download
http://download.linuxaudio.org/lilypond/binaries/darwin-ppc/lilypond-2.11.13-1.darwin-ppc.tar.bz2
then unpack it (on the Desktop for instance), and drag'n drop it in
/Applications

It's a .app pacakge, so theoritically you can launch it like any other
application. You should see a TextEdit-like window with the message
"Welcome to LilyPond". If you don't, then you're obviously missing
something.
That all worked. Soon I'll see if Han-Wen's answer is the rest of the story.

Does Mac no longer use carriage for end of line since OSX.  That seem to
be the case from the command line.

I don't really understand what you're talking about (but as a matter
of fact, I've never been using OS 8 or OS 9). Maybe somebody else will
be able to answer this question ?

Anyway, as far as I know, there's nothing that could prevent you from
using LilyPond on a G3 PPC, especially with a modern OS like 10.4.7.
Before this change .ly files probably had to be fixed when written on one of the three different OS's and then run with Lily on a Mac.

I have had limited experience with a Mac so I could use any other
pointers to relevant documentation.

Well, it seems parts of the LilyPond.app package are not available
from the GUI ; you'll have to use the Terminal.app to invoke it
through the command line.
No problem.  That's what I do in Linux.

You can look, for instance, at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-01/msg00528.html