Re: problems with german umlauts

From: Bertalan Fodor
Subject: Re: problems with german umlauts
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:06:16 +0100

Because most accented European characters can not be accessed within
ascii My ascii table shows all French, Norwegian, Danish characters as well as most spanish, and german (can't profess to be an expert there) see characters 191-
255 (xBF - xff).  Are these accessable in a non-unicode document?
AFAIK you must use UTF-8. (It is not the same as 'unicode' in general.) The documentation should be clearer.

Bert

ps: Anyway, my note was because of Central and Eastern European Languages - Polish, Slovakian, Czech, Slovenian, Croatian, Romanian etc, even users of cyrillic alphabets: Serbian, Russian, Bulgarian, and more. I must also mention Greece. There are even 27 countries in the EU now, and only 10 or such of them are handled fully by ASCII. Now it's time for editor softwares to handle this "new" situation ;-)