Re: pageBreak?

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: pageBreak?
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:25:35 -0600

On 1/28/07, Joe Neeman <address@hidden> wrote:
On 1/28/07, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 1/28/07, Ole Schmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
> > \noPageBreak work!! Thanks Joe!
> >
> > ole
> >
> > Am 28.01.2007 um 14:31 schrieb Bertalan Fodor:
> >
> > > Ole, have you tried \noPageBreak? I would not be surprised if it
> > > had no effect.
> > >
> > > Bert

> Would it be worth it to have a pair of settings -- probably something
> like manual-page-breaks = ##t  and manual-line-breaks = ##t in the
> layout block -- that told lily "do not ever create a page break except
> where I say so explicitly with \pageBreak", and likewise for \break?
>
> I kinda wonder how many people out there have a breaks-voice sitting
> in the first staff of their score -- just like in Joe's example -- and
> how much simpler those breaks-voices would be if they could consist
> only of explicit \breaks and \pageBreaks ...

You can override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn #'page-break-permission =
##f (or line-break-permission for line breaks) in the layout block.

Hi Joe,

This is cool.

So setting line-break-permission = ##f should preclude the value of
page-break-permission, right? (IOW, saying "don't put line breaks
anywhere except where I tell you" should entail "don't put page breaks
except where I tell you, too", right?).

Question: in the following snippet, setting line-break-permission =
##f clearly has the intended effect: only a single line of music that
runs off the page; but commenting out line-break-permission and
leaving only page-break-permission = ##f seems to have no effect (ie,
still multiple pages of music). What am I missing in setting
page-break-permission = ##f?

%%% BEGIN %%%

\version "2.11.15"

\new Score \with {
  %\override NonMusicalPaperColumn #'line-break-permission = ##f
  \override NonMusicalPaperColumn #'page-break-permission = ##f
} {
  \new Staff {
     \repeat unfold 200 { c'4 c'4 c'4 c'4 }

--