First attempt with Lilypond - TeX compatibility problems?

From: Miguel Ramos
Subject: First attempt with Lilypond - TeX compatibility problems?
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 21:55:21 +0000

Good evening,

I have just installed Lilypond for the first time and my first
attempts at using Lilypond have been frustrated. I installed Lilypond
2.2.2 (I'm using FreeBSD and this is the version found in the ports
tree).

Following the tutorial, the first file I created contained the following:

{
 c' e' g' e'
}

It didn't compile. I got the following error: tutorial.ly:1:1: error:
parse error, unexpected '{' and the following tutorial.ly:2:15:
warning: Braces don't match:
     c' e' g'
              e'

Now, if the first example from the tutorial doesn't compile, I'm a bit
stuck... I checked and re-checked the file, the braces do match...
maybe this version doesn't like a file starting with { ?

Next, I decided to compile the examples that came with it to see if I
had any better luck. The first one was example-1, with the following
content, comments stripped:

\version "2.2.0"
\score {
 \context Voice \notes\relative c {
   c' d e f g a b c

Compiling this file seems to fail at a latter stage. TeX output is
produced, but then it warns that LaTeX failed with the following
message:
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \kern 077.1172\outputscale \embeddedps
                                                 {000.0650 000.0650 000.312...
l.69 }
     %

I have the teTeX-3.0 distribution installed, can this be some kind of
compatibility problem?

Please help if you can. I now music, C++ and LISP very well, and LaTeX
not well at all.

Miguel Ramos