extra-offset instead of X/Y offset? (was Lowering a \mark)

From: Vivian Barty-Taylor
Subject: extra-offset instead of X/Y offset? (was Lowering a \mark)
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:53:37 +0000 (GMT)

Dear David,

In your case, the reason it didn't work was that you hadn't identified the RehearsalMark correctly. If you look at the page for Mark-engraver it tells you:

Mark_engraver is part of contexts: Score

so unless you tell Lilypond to look in the Score context it isn't going to find any objects named RehearsalMark.

>>Y-offset is documented as a property of RehearsalMark but doesn't seem
to really be so.

Y-offset is a user-settable property of Score.RehearsalMark - you could have followed my second suggestion. I think the reason that it is reccomended to use extra-offset is that extra-offset is by default set to #'(0 . 0) so that any changes you make will be relative to the X- and Y- offset values that work most of the time. If you decided that you wanted to adjust the default positions of an object for the whole score, then I would suggest using these properties. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong!)

On another subject, I spent 20 minutes searching for why there is no padding property for DynamicText before finding that the padding is controlled by the DynamicLineSpanner . Could this be slightly more explicitly stated in the documentation, maybe on the pages of the objects controlled by it?

Cheers,

Vivian.