Re: Mutopia improvements

From: Michael David Crawford
Subject: Re: Mutopia improvements
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 09:45:35 -0800

Hi,

Your contribution guidelines don't seem to allow for the possibility that the original composer could be still alive, if he has placed his music under a Creative Commons license.

There is a growing body of modern Creative Commons music, but so far very little of it is available as sheet music - just audio recordings. I think The Mutopia Project could do well to get those who CC-license their music to supply sheet music as well.

Michael David Crawford
address@hidden
http://www.geometricvisions.com/

Chris Sawer wrote:
Hi,

Apologies for the cross-posting - but I thought this may be of interest to a wider audience.

Over the last few weeks we have been making a number of improvements to the Mutopia website. Mutopia is a growing collection of "open source" sheet music, all of which is free to download, print out, perform and distribute. We currently have over 800 pieces, and all of it is typeset using LilyPond.

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/

Improvements include the following:

- Visual refresh of the website using CSS
- Clearer and simpler front page
- Clearer guidelines for contributing
- Improved search algorithm
- RSS feed for staying up-to-date with new contributions
- Printed editions of some pieces available for purchase through Lulu

Thanks to Stewart Holmes for the Lulu service, and to Conrad Irwin for help with the CSS.

All feedback is welcome - either to me personally, or to the Mutopia discussion mailing list: