Re: [Editor OT] Finding the Unicode values of Japanese kanji?

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: [Editor OT] Finding the Unicode values of Japanese kanji?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:55:41 -0500

On 3/15/07, Alard de Boer <address@hidden> wrote:
On 15/03/07, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
> Question: does anyone know an online resource where I can type in, for
> example, each of the characters in  通常の位置, one by one, and get back
> Unicode sequences for each? Googling brings back some hopeful sites,
> but I can't quite get any of them to *start* with the Japanese
> character and reveal the Unicode; the sites all seem to want to do the
> reverse and start with the Unicode and then reveal the kanji.

I did some Googling and found a table containing a unicode
table containing kanji here:

http://www.rikai.com/library/kanjitables/kanji_codes.unicode.shtml

Finding the characters you posted worked fine in Firefox (simple
copy-and-paste into the Quick Find box). Not a very nice method
but it works.

Yes. Finding in the browser with ctrl-f does in fact seem to work.
It's a good fallback for sure.

The unicode for those 5 characters (4 kanji, 1 hiragana) seem
to be: 901a 5e38 306e 4f4d 7f6e

> (Alternatively, if there's a straightforward way to paste kanji
> directly into vim, I'd be grateful to find out what I'm missing.)

Sorry, don't know about vim. I use anthy in various applications
(using Linux).

Right.

I played around a bit with changing both

 encoding=utf-16
 fileencoding=utf-16

in my ~/.vimrc file. But I managed only to turn my .vimrc file into
kanji and make it completely unreadable!

I suspect there is some way to tell vim "hey, you're in 16-bit Unicode
now" and that that will probably let me paste Japanese directly into
inputfiles. Will require more looking, tho.

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden