How do I move a \markup down?

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: How do I move a \markup down?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:30:43 +0100

In the following snippet, the \markup is to far from the system.

%% -- snip
\version "2.10.20"

%% uncommenting the next line will result in an error.
%%\override TextScript #'staff-padding = #0.1
\markup{\small 5. Variation (freier Anschlag)}
\score { d''4 }

%% -- snip

However, if I want to override either the padding or the staff- padding, lilypond tells me that the \override is unexpected. So how do I move down the markup?

Regards,
Arjan Bos

---
Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before you break 'em.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)