Re: How to start Lilypond

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: How to start Lilypond
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 01:33:45 +0100

El sáb, 17 de mar de 2007, a las 10:48:24 +0000, Ed Ardzinski dijo:
> > From: address@hidden
> > I downloaded the Lilypond today, but the exe-file eludes me.> How do I
> > start the Lilypond programme?> I use Microsoft xp.
> You can read the manual, but I understand that it's sometimes tough to get
> started.  Lilypond works more like a programming language.  I am assuming
> that the newer version work similar to the version I use (2.6.5).
>
> You create your script file with any text editor, but make sure it is plain
> text (a word processing program will add garbage that LP will not recognize).
>  Save the text file with a ".ly" extension, and if the program is installed
> correctly you should be able to double click on the file icon in Windows
> Explorer to invoke Lilypond.  You can also right click on the file and you
> should see "Generate PDF".

Maybe it needs to be clearer in the manual how to be sure that your
file calls test.ly and not test.ly.txt on Windows.

It's important if you are a smart user, to view the extension of the
filenames (those three or more characters after a dot) and to be able
to modify them. This is not the default in Windows after installing
it, so you simply cannot install lilypond, create a .ly file on your
desktop by right-click -> new -> text file and pretend it is a
lilypond document.

If you do this, you WILL have a test.ly.txt file and it will NOT be
associated with lilypond because of its extension.

So you'd have to go first to the tools menu in an explorer window,
then choose Directroy options... (or whatever it is called in the
english version of windows) and go to the "view" label, there you have
to unselect the checkbox marked with something like "hide extension
from file types known to Windows".

As the "hide" checkbox is unchecked you'll now be able to see and
modify the filename extensions just by renaming the files.

Now you can right-click -> new -> text file and call it test.ly,
you'll get a warning but don't be scared, it really will not become
unusable, rather it will now be associated with lilypond. Its icon
will look like a somewhat ugly black-coloured eight-note.

To edit them with the program of chioce, right-click on it and choose
Open with... Notepad or whatever. You can also place a shortcut icon
in the sendTo directory and then right-click --> send to... this
entry. Or, first open your editor, then drag and drop your file icon
inside it.

--
Francisco Vila Doncel. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org