Re: centered instrument name Piano

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: centered instrument name Piano
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:49:41 +0200

The reason is that the template includes the pedal instructions within the PianoStaff, so the center of the full PianoStaff will be calculated taking the pedal instructions into account. The simple solution is to move the pedal line out of the PianoStaff:
\score {
 <<
   \new PianoStaff <<
     \new Staff = "upper" \upper
     \new Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics
     \new Staff = "lower" <<
       \clef bass
       \lower

   \new Dynamics = "pedal" \pedal

  \layout{

Another solution is to specify the pedal instructions "within" the left hand stave:
\score {
 \new PianoStaff <<
   \new Staff = "upper" \upper
   \new Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics
   \new Staff = "lower" <<
     \clef bass
     \lower
     \pedal

 \layout {

The difference between these two solutions is that the former will place all pedal instructions vertically aligned, whereas the latter will move individual
pedal instructions down if you have a low note with ledger lines.
Some time ago I browsed through some printed piano music I have at home
and noticed that some editions used vertically aligned pedal instructions whereas
others let them vary in height, so it seems to be a matter of taste.

  /Mats

Pianista wrote:
Hi,
I'm using the piano template with centered dynamics and I put in the score
book \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = "piano" but it doesn't appear
centered. How Can I fix that?

Thanks.

FĂșlvio.

        Mats Bengtsson