unicode character problems

From: address@hidden
Subject: unicode character problems
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:37:53 +0000 (GMT)

Hello.
I am having trouble using certain unicode characters, namely up and down
arrows, in
my lilypond files. If these arrows are in my ly's, they don't compile
correctly.
When I open the resultant ps file with ghostview
I get an error message (lots of --nostringval --nostringval)
and there are notes and sometimes whole pages missing from the ps.
The same stuff is missing if I try to print a hard copy, so it's not gv.

Just yesterday I was using 2.10.20 and having no problem using these arrows.
Today I'm using 2.10.20-1 and having problems. I *don't have the same problem
with other
unicode characters, like versicles and responses, just these arrows.
I am entering them in vim (on linux) like this:
ctrl-v u2191 (uparrow)
ctrl-v u2193 (downarrow)
The encoding is set to utf-8.

I've also tried some other arrows and gotten similarly bad results.
Here's an example of what I'm up to. The markup represents a drone and
the arrow tells you in which direction you are to change this drone.

\version "2.10.20-1"
\score { \relative c''
  { a b c^\markup{ ↑ A} d e }
}