Re: TeXShop and Lilypond

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: TeXShop and Lilypond
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:28:15 +0200

Walter Hofmeister wrote:
Michael,
    Check here: http://www.dimi.uniud.it/vitacolo/freesoftware.html

    Thanks to Nicola Vitacolonna for this bit of software.

Scroll down the page about half-way to the Desktop Publishing section. At
the bottom of the section you will see a link with instructions to get the
Lilypond engine working with TexShop. Note that point and click does NOT
work with TexShop (it is not compatible). Make sure that TexShop is set to
save files in UTF-8 Unicode format or Lilypond will choke.
Won't LaTeX choke on the LaTeX parts of the documents then?
Unless you have a UTF-8 capable LaTeX, the best solution I see is
to write the LilyPond code in separate files (saved in UTF-8) that then
are included into the LaTeX document (saved in ISO 8859-1 or whatever)
using \lilypondfile{...}.

Nicola, I took a quick look into
http://www.dimi.uniud.it/vitacolo/download/software/latex/Lilypond-LaTeX.engine.txt
and noticed that you use latex + dvips + ps2pdf to process the file. I hope you are
aware of the possibility to instead use pdflatex:
lilypond-book -o out --pdf myfile.lytex
cd out
pdflatex myfile.tex

Since TexShop seems to use pdflatex by default, this seems like a preferable solution.

I have added a few lines of information about this LilyPond support in TexShop
in the section on Editor support in the manual.

  /Mats