Re: n00b warning: questions

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: n00b warning: questions
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:01:38 +0200

Mario Colbert wrote:
Dearest Lilypond mailing list:

Hello. Although I've had lilypond installed since June of 2006, I have not tried to put anything substantial in there. However, after having to put together a nice set of good-looking scores of my own composition for percussion, I've concluded the following: FINALE is awful, and SIBELIUS is awful, but not as awful as Finale.

Although I was quite reluctant about using lilypond at first, I have noticed that it's actually much MUCH clearer in regards to input than either of the programs mentioned above. At the same time, I've found it to be quite unwieldy when it comes to a few other things, and I sure could use some help. We'll begin with the very first measure of my piece for solo glockenspiel:

\time 3/4
r8\mp cis8-> gis''8. cis,,16 b''4->

If you were to input the following into Lilypond, you would find that it automatically beams the C#3 along with the dotted G#. The idea is to use a single eighth-note notation for the very first note (cis8->) and beamed [gis''8. cis,,16] with a lone quarter-note B at the end. I tried [cis8->] only to find out that it doesn't like this at all.
Just specify the beam that you want:
r8\mp cis8-> gis''8.[ cis,,16] b''4->
or insert a \noBeam (as described in the section on "Automatic beams" in the manual)
or tell LilyPond that you want to beam 8th notes in 3/4 time on every beat:
#(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 3 4) 1 4)
#(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 3 4) 2 4)

The second measure features a similar problem, though I'm including this only due to /relative call in the code. I'd like to ask you an odd question about measure 4:

\relative{
 \time 3/4
  r8\mp cis8-> gis''8. cis,,16 b''4->
  r8 cis,,8 cis8 gis''8-> ~ gis16 cis,,16 b''8->
  gis4 r8. cis,,16-- c''16 b16-> cis,8-> ~
  cis8 cis,8-- <cis' gis'>8.-> <c gis'>16-> ~ <c gis'>8 cis,16-- cis16--
}

Interestingly enough, Finale, Sibelius, -and- Lilypond have issues with the fourth measure, and none want to display the accidental on the note prior-to-last (C#). Prior to C#, we have a clearly marked C(natural) as can be seen here: {<cis' gis'>8.-> <c gis'>16-> ~ <c gis'>8} , yet despite having {cis,16} Lilypond/Finale/Sibeluis draw C-natural, despite needing C#.
There are many different typesetting practices available for these situations. I recommend you to read the section on "Automatic accidentals" in the manual. What you probably
want is
#(set-accidental-style 'modern)

The last comment I wish to make is that the automatic beaming of the last line is not as pretty on the eyes as it could be: the stems of the two bottom C#s need to be longer, and I'd appreciate any comments regarding this from anyone...
LilyPond determines the slant of each beam based on a number of different criteria, in an attempt to produce as pleasing output as possible in as many situations as possible. For example, the stem lengths may be adjusted depending also on the horizontal note spacing. In this particular example, LilyPond happens to only typeset two measures per score line, which gives a fairly wide spacing. If you add some more measures of music or if you change some notes, it may happen that LilyPond changes the line breaking which could in turn affect the stem lengths of the beamed notes. If you do not like the default given by LilyPond, it's always possible to manually change the stem lengths, but this should be done in the final polishing step when
everything else is finished, for the reasons I just told you.

  /Mats