Figured bass: font-shape and vertical spacing

From: A P
Subject: Figured bass: font-shape and vertical spacing
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 00:16:56 +1000 (EST)

1. I'd like to use a 'medium' font-shape (rather than
what looks like boldface) for the figured bass, but I
can't work out how to do it.  The command

\override FiguredBass.BassFigure #'font-series =
#'medium

neither gives an error nor does it work.  Any
suggestions?

Better still, I'd like to use the font that I'm using
in the rest of the score (Garamond) for the figures,
but a command like

\override FiguredBass.BassFigure #'font-name =
#'"Garamond"

only changes the numbers, and loses the accidentals,
because, of course, Garamond doesn't contain
accidentals!

2. Also, I'd like the figures to be above the staff
(which I've worked out how to do), but I'd like them
to  sit directly above the staff or corresponding note
(if it sticks up above the staff), with relatively
little white space in between (as it is in the
facsimile that I'm typesetting).  Playing around with
#'minimum-Y-extent doesn't work, and I think I
understand why, but how can I do what I'd like?

I can do both of these things by using \markup
commands instead of Lilypond's figured bass facility,
but that's very tedious.

Thanks,

Aloke
(Lilypond 2.10.10 on XP Pro)