Re: Downloading & opening

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Downloading & opening
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 20:08:27 +0200

I guess, what you downloaded was the "installer" from http://lilypond.org/web/install/. This isn't anything you can open with an editor, instead it's a program that you have to run, which in turn installs the LilyPond program. The instructions at the Download page actually tell you what to do, but in case you need more details:
1. Download the installer to the directory /tmp/ using
  your web browser.
2. Start a command window.
3. Run the command sh lilypond-2.10.25-1.linux-x86.sh

I strongly recommend you to do steps 2 and 3 being logged in as root on your system, since then the program will be installed in a directory /usr/local/bin/, which very likely is already in your PATH, meaning that you don't need any more steps. If instead you run 2. and 3. as an ordinary user, then the program will be installed in ~/bin, i.e. within your home
directory. I don't know any details about Ubuntu, but on most
Linux systems, programs installed in ~/bin/ are not found by default, so you would have to add that directory to your PATH.
Using google, I found the following instructions:

  /Mats

Quoting Don McHugh <address@hidden>:

Hi'

I've tried twice to download Lilypond: first to my desk top, then to be opened by gedit. In both cases I got a message that my Ubuntu could not open the file.
I'm a real beginner at Linux.  Can you help me?

Don