Re: master file in emacs lilypond mode

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: master file in emacs lilypond mode
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:12:20 +0200 (CEST)

Laura Conrad:

> I'm working on a piece where what I'm editing is the include files,
> but what I want to run lilypond on is a master file.  I've been
> enjoying just saying "C-c C-l" to run lilypond, but I can't figure out
> how to tell lilypond what the master file is.
>
> I already have a template with some local variables set, so the most
> convenient thing would just be to put it there, the way auctex does.
>
> I assume I could do that if I found out what the name of the variable
> I had to set was.
>
> Is anyone using this feature who could give me a hint?

By using c-h c, I see that c-c c-l runs the command
LilyPond-command-lilypond. And c-h a for that says:

 LilyPond-command-lilypond
      <menu-bar> <Command> <LilyPond>, C-c C-l
   Command: Run lilypond for the current document.

Looking in the code for that (elisp/lilypond-mode.el) I find this:

  (defvar LilyPond-master-file nil
    "Master file that Lilypond will be run on.")

  ;; FIXME: find ``\score'' in buffers / make settable?
  (defun LilyPond-get-master-file ()
    (or LilyPond-master-file
        (buffer-file-name)))
  (defun LilyPond-command-lilypond ()
    "Run lilypond for the current document."
    (interactive)
    (LilyPond-command (LilyPond-command-menu "LilyPond")
'LilyPond-get-master-file)
  )

So if you set the variable LilyPond-command-lilypond to your master it
should do what you want. Doing info emacs and going (g) to node Examining
I find out that I should go to the *scratch* buffer, typein e.g.
(setq LilyPond-master-file "Smen.ly") and pressing c-j. Then when I am
in buffer Mman.ly lilypond runs on Smen.ly instead.

But why don't you use a Makefile instead?

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data               address@hidden
Lilla Aspö 2340                                                Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar          +46  173 140 57                   Computers
Sweden                     +46  70 511 97 84                 Consulting