Re: Apostrophe help please

From: Marguerite Plank
Subject: Re: Apostrophe help please
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:52:44 -0400

Brilliant!

I did have to shift it to Notepad, which has that option. 'Twould be nice to have it in Lilypond... :)

Thanks much for helping this typesetter/editor with a touch of OCD get what she wanted!

David Bobroff wrote:
Marguerite Plank wrote:

Is there anything I can do to get a true apostrophe (right single quote)
to display correctly in the title of this piece? In the current example,
the space on either side of the glyph is unacceptable. One could use a
prime instead of a quote, but I regard that as also unacceptable..

Earlier, I tried replacing the prime character in the pdf, but then the
first line of the score shifted.

Thanks,
Marguerite

code below:
=========================

\version "2.10.20-1"

\include "english.ly"

#(set-global-staff-size 18)

\paper {
          #(set-paper-size "letter")
          left-margin = 2.5\cm
          line-width = 15\cm
          between-system-padding = #-2
          between-system-spacing = #-2
           }

\header {

         title = ""
         poet = \markup { \override #'(font-name . "CaslonAntique")
\fontsize #3 "2. Astley"
                    \override #'(font-name . "CaslonAntique")  \fontsize
#3 #(ly:export (ly:wide-char->utf-8 #x2019))
                     \override #'(font-name . "CaslonAntique") \fontsize
#3 "s"  }
         composer = \markup { \override #'(font-name . "News Gothic
Italic") "hornpipe"  }
         tagline = ""
   }

Changing the "poet" header to this:

poet = \markup { \override #'(font-name . "CaslonAntique") \fontsize #3
"2. Astley’s"}

...works for me.  IMPORTANT--> Be sure to save the input file as UTF-8
and get the correct character for the apostrophe/single right quote.  I
did this with Windows and got it from the character map.

-David

--

Marguerite Plank

625 Natural Dam Road