[OT] PG Studentship - Glasgow University

From: Dougie McGilvray
Subject: [OT] PG Studentship - Glasgow University
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:15:09 +0100

Apologies for cross-posting...

The Centre for Music Technology at The University of Glasgow has a
postgraduate place funded for three years for a PhD student to
undertake research into data representation of musical structures. We
are looking for somebody who is fluent in music analysis to degree
level, and is also a competent programmer (preferably with Linux
experience) with an appreciation of databases, XML (in the context of
MusicXML) and desktop programming (e.g. with KDE). We are seeking to
achieve the automated discovery of musical structures in performed
and written music. Past projects have involved the performances of
Shoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire with Soprano Jane Manning, analysis of
Chopin Piano works, and microtonal performance analysis with memebers
of the BBC Singers and the Royal College of Music.

The overall plan is to develop a database capable of handling
musically sophisticated queries and to present the results in a
musically literate way based the extension of technologies under
development or already available at the CMT. A trivial example can be
found at http://markov.music.gla.ac.uk/Click-Chopin (requires Java
1.5); a more sophisticated version might be able to respond to
queries like "Find motifs similar to xxxx in the Chopin Preludes;
highlight them; state the nature of the similarity".

It is a condition of the funding that the successful applicant must
be a UK national. Applicants are of course encouraged internationally
if they have their own funding.

We are cognisant of the fact that such a disparity of skills will be
hard to come by, but there are 60 million UK nationals, and we only
need one! That said, if you have some of the skill set described
above and are interested, please contact me for details on how to
apply. Since we are part of an Engineering Faculty and have
postgraduate students already in place, music analysis skills would
be particularly valued.

The stipend is at least £12600 per annum tax-free and as a full-time student you are exempt from council tax payments.

Thanks for your time and bandwidth,

Nick Bailey
n.j.bailey AT elec DOT gla DOT ac DOT uk , nick AT n-ism DOT org
http://cmt.gla.ac.uk
http://www.n-ism.org