Having trouble with custom paper size/layout

From: Eric Schwartz
Subject: Having trouble with custom paper size/layout
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 03:00:51 +0000 (UTC)

Hi everyone. I'm still a relative newcomer to Lilypond, but I just want to say
first off that lurking in this newsgroup has been a tremendous asset as I learn.

I'm currently working on a vocal score. I'd like to lay out the music on legal
paper, landscape, with two pages per sheet. Like this laughable excuse for ASCII
art:

-----------------------------
|    Title    |             |
| =========== | =========== |
| =========== | =========== |
| =========== | =========== |
| =========== | =========== |
|             |             |
-----------------------------

My first effort has failed. I tried creating a new paper size in paper.scm with
the following:

("halflegal" . (cons (* 7.0 in) (* 8.5 in)))

Also here's my "\paper" block:

  \paper {
    #(set-paper-size "halflegal")
    paper-width = 7\in
    paper-height = 8.5\in
    top-margin = 5\mm
    left-margin = 16\mm
    line-width = 156.0\mm
    bottom-margin = 6\mm
  }

But while that successfully constricts what's rendered in the ps/pdf file, it
doesn't generate anything printable: systems are cut off mid-measure, and the
question of 2-per-page is not addressed.

Any thoughts/ideas you might have would be appreciated, even if it's nothing
more than a new angle to try. Also, I'm using version 2.10.25.

Thanks!
-Eric