Re: Need help with this simple lyric

From: peterwinson
Subject: Re: Need help with this simple lyric
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:11:19 -0700 (PDT)

tabster wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> to let LilyPond treat more syllables as one, easily encloses these in "
> ... "
>
> On my (2.10.20) system the file compiles, but doesn´t show the cross
> character. I would copy the character itself into the source code and
> enclose it in "..." together with the O like "+ O".

I tried "+ O" but it did not work.  The problem is the "+" character is a
unicode character U+2720, and if you enclose the UTF-8 escape code inside
the quote you just get the escape text.  My code was

\addlyrics{ \markup \char ##x2720 O Lord o -- pen thou our lips}

\addlyrics{
   % this did not work
   "markup \char ##x2720 O" Lord o -- pen thou our lips
}

On another matter, it is interesting that you mentioned that the cross
character did not show up in your version 2.10.20.  It did not show up for
version 2.11.26 either.  I wonder what's up with that?  Anyone here know?

Peter