Re: Adding / deleting staves on the fly

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Adding / deleting staves on the fly
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 02:34:09 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 1. August 2007 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
> Hello all,
>
> >> If you simply want staves with rests only to disappear, simply add
> >> the
> >> RemoveEmptyStaffContext to your layout.  [....]
>
> I've asked this before, but never really got a complete answer...
>
> Is there any way to have \RemoveEmptyStaffContext in a layout, but
> specifically choose one Staff (or, better yet, section of measures of
> a Staff) that would still display regardless of content?
>
> I thought it might be possible by adding MultiMeasureRest to the list
> of #'interesting-items, but nothing I tried seemed to work!  =\

Hmm, good question. The hara-kiri-group-interface has the remove-empty
property, which controls whether empty staves should be removed. I don't know
if there is a correct way to set this to false for only one single staff...
At least my naive attempts led me to a solution, which apparently works just
fine:
  \context Staff=alto \with{\override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-empty = ##f }
   <<
     \override Score.VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-empty = ##f
     \alt
     \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "A"

Attached is the snippet to show this...

Cheers,
Reinhold

PS: I haven't been able to mark some measures with #'remove-empty=##t (by
using \context Voice  \with {\override ...} ), no idea what I'm doing wrong
or if it's possible at all