Re: closing bar lines - spacing and display issues in 2.11.28

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: closing bar lines - spacing and display issues in 2.11.28
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 21:32:29 +0100

Hi Charlotte,

On 8/7/07, Charlotte <address@hidden> wrote:

Folks,

I'm getting various problems with my closing bar-lines, as demonstrated in
the code attached below. If you compile it you'll see that:

i) the closing bar of the choral section is far to close to the last notes.
I've tried overriding all kinds of BarLine properties, including
extra-offset and spacing-alist, but can't get anything to do what I need.
I'm getting this same error in various choral sections throughout my score.
Two are okay, eleven are not and I can't work out what the common feature is
for the ones that are okay! It seems to be predominently final bar-lines
causing the problem - bar-lines internal to the choral sections are mostly
spaced just fine, although there are some which are too close to the
preceeding notes. I'd like a fix I could apply to those too, without
upsetting all the ones which are okay.
What's going on, and how do I fix it? I'm thinking it might be easier to
define exactly what I want (a double-bar line with a fixed amount of spacing
before it) as an identifier that I can just insert instead of \bar "|."? Can
I do this, and if so, how? Is it the best solution?

Hmm... this is a difficult situation. A really tedious and involved way is to insert some invisible notes (a semibreve works best) to force the notes apart. It's an ugly botch which complicates midi output, but it works:

hide = \once \override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t

testnotesS = \relative c'' {c4 \bar "|" bes8[ aes] g[ f] g4*99/100 \hide g1*99/400 g4*99/100 \hide g1*99/400 \bar "|."
}
testnotesA = \relative c' {ees4 f ees ees4*99/100 \hide g1*99/400 ees4*99/100 \hide g1*99/400
}
testnotesT = \relative c' {aes4 bes c bes4*99/100 \hide bes1*99/400 bes4*99/100 \hide bes1*99/400
}
testnotesB = \relative c {f4 g g ees4*99/100 \hide g1*99/400 ees4*99/100 \hide g1*99/400
}
testwordsChoir = \lyricmode {ein zwei drei vi -- \skip 4 er
}

ii) the 'finalis' in the first cantor line appears more like a final double
bar (a thin and a thick line) but the second 'finalis' is okay. What's going
on and how do I make them all okay?

iii) the staff lines extend beyond the 'finalis' for the second cantor line.
Again, what's going on, and how do I fix it?

I also have another problem, for which I've not provided code because I
don't have time to create a minimal example. In the longer choral sections,
all my bar-lines are different weights, varying between very heavy and
medium. I'd prefer them all to be medium. What do I need to tweak to set
this?

Don't trust your .pdf output - it's usually wrong (JPedal is particularly bad). The snippet looks fine when printed out.

Regards,
Neil