Re: GDP: structure of index

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: GDP: structure of index
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 00:29:12 +0200

Le lundi 10 septembre 2007 à 11:06 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> Juergen Reuter wrote:
> > Furthermore, I would like to see entries like
> >
> >   \displayLilyMusic: Displaying LilyPond notation
> >   \displayLilyMusic: Displaying music expressions
> >
> > rather being structured as follows:
> >
> >   \displayLilyMusic:
> >       Displaying LilyPond notation
> >       Displaying music expressions
> >

> I'm not certain if texinfo 4.8 can do that.  Werner, do you know?

I've just looked at Texinfo 4.8 manual (the latest release 4.9 only
differs about texi2dvi, texinfo.tex and some bugfixes), and found no way
to format an index as Juergen suggested.

> If not, we could always make a feature request to the texinfo
> developers;

It's already in Texinfo TODO file, which is quite big [1] -- Texinfo
needs a lot of C hackers to tackle all TODO items :-|  We can always try
to ask them to raise the priority for implementing this particular
feature.  (I'm suscribed to bug-texinfo, which discusses Texinfo bugs,
development and feature requests.)

[1] http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/texinfo/texinfo/TODO?rev=HEAD
See also http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/

>  it might be possible for them to add it before 4.9.

FWIW 4.9 was released on June 29, and the latest beta is 4.9.92, so they
might add it before 4.11... (or before 5.1 in case they decide to
release 5.0 instead of 4.10)

Cheers,
John