Re: GDP - Learning Manuall Songs section

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP - Learning Manuall Songs section
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:48:41 +0200

Quoting Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

Most of the _concepts_ associated with lyrics need to be
introduced in the Learning Manual, as they are pretty well
all needed whenever lyrics need to be set.  But only the
minimum number of technicalities should be covered; all
alternative methods and all tweaks should remain in the new
Notation Reference and simply referenced.

What I would like to see somewhere in the documentation, perhaps
in the learning manual, perhaps in the reference, is an overview
of the different basic options, to help readers get the big picture
before going into any detail. For the particular case of lyrics, I would like to see the following hierarchy of options shown

- Attach the lyrics to some line of music
 * \addlyrics (point out that it's only useful in very simple
   settings)
 * \lyricsto
- Explicitly specify the duration of each syllable

For each of these options, such an overview would contain one simple
example and references to other sections that contain more details.

Before the discussion about GDP, my idea was that such an overview
would perhaps be most suited as an introductory subsection to the section on lyrics in the reference manual, but following Graham's
intentions with GDP, it might fit better into the learning manual.

  /Mats