RE: multiple tempi in a single piece

From: Kieran Coulter
Subject: RE: multiple tempi in a single piece
Date: 4 Oct 2007 19:38:10 -0700

Hi Mats,

I think it belongs here,

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Creating-MIDI-files#Creating-MIDI-files

Where it mentions how to set the default tempo (which I assume is the global
tempo for most pieces that don't change tempo).

I would then distinguish between wanting simply for the metronome markings
present, wanting the markings and the correct tempo changes, and wanting the
tempo changes but not caring about markings (as is the case for Trevor). Also,
make it as clear as possible when a way of working with Lilypond has the effect
of managing metronome marks, and when it affects the tempi within the MIDI file
itself.

In my case, we are requiring that we indicate default tempo expectations so
that we can allow users to start with that tempo (we will try and make it as
appropriate as possible) or adjust to a tempo that is comfortable for them,
relative to a known tempo.

Although it is of course most fitting in many older pieces to only have the
Italian indication, we have need for the special case I mentioned above, and we
will be sure to say wherever appropriate that these are not our personal
recommendations, just that we need to define the default tempi so that rhythm
tracking works properly!

Also if we don't include tempo changes within the file itself, and instead
resort to modifier tables, it's just an extra table to embed into the per-piece
database structure. With this figured out would still have 4 out of 5 tables
left to integrate, if we are going to  try and fight to get a better MIDI file
standard some more (although it looks like we will finally be getting around to
it!).

Thanks for the tip Trevor, I will try it out!

So just to be totally sure,

1) you add the tempo map, "killing time" with s's, as its own voice?

2) Do you still need to add the global default tempo in the MIDI block if you
do this?
 tempoWholesPerMinute = #(ly:make-moment 72 4)

3) If so, and you also explicitly add a tempo in measure 1 of your tempo voice,
and they are different, does it produce an error or does one override the other?

Thanks again!

Kieran