RE: Centering lyrics under melisma

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: Centering lyrics under melisma
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:07:17 +0100

Marik

Is there a simple way to align lyrics centrally under
melismata? AFAIK, the short answer is "No".  In general LP
centres syllables on notes except when the notes are grouped
in a melisma, when they are left-aligned (expecting an
extender to carry the syllable over the melisma.)  This is
the normal type-setting practice.

However, if you create a timeline of hidden notes and spacer
notes without melismata and align the lyrics to this you can
position the syllables pretty flexibly and they are centred
on the timenote non-spacer notes.  It generates lots of
warnings, and the lyrics seem to be positioned too low, but
it's the closest I can get to what you want.    Here's an
example:

  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice = timeline { \hideNotes c4 s4. e4 s4. a'4 }
    \new Voice = melody { c' d'( e' f' g') a' }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto timeline \lyricmode { one two
three }

Using the Devnull context instead of Voice for the timeline
prints the lyrics in the correct vertical position but
left-aligns the syllables with the non-spacing notes.  This
might be better for you, but then the timing has to take
account of every syllable's length if you want them to be
centre-aligned :(

Anyone have a better solution?

Trevor