Cross-staff chords

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Cross-staff chords
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:03:41 +0200

Hi,
For the musicxml2ly application, I'm looking into how to convert cross-staff
chords in PianoStaves (i.e. chords that have some notes in the upper and some
in the lower staff). The documentation talks about these in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Cross-staff-stems#Cross-staff-stems

However, this approach is not possible for me in musicxml2ly (apart from the
fact, that I think that this is a terribly hackish workaround, but no proper
way), because I'm already inside a voice and can't easily created another
voice. The other issues I have with that workaround are that
 - the stem length is not known at all (sometimes 20 might be required,
sometimes only 10 and 20 would look awkward), so i can't automate this
setting
 - The no-flag does not work at all for beamed chords

I'm attaching a sample which displays these problems.

In short, as this is no option for me, is there any other / better way to
split a chord upon two staves and produce the result as shown in the attached
file 14c-StaffChange-Finale-Ref.pdf (created in Finale)?

Cheers,
Reinhold