Re: Cross-staff chords

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Cross-staff chords
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:29:50 -0500

On 10/27/07, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> For the musicxml2ly application, I'm looking into how to convert cross-staff
> chords in PianoStaves (i.e. chords that have some notes in the upper and some
> in the lower staff). The documentation talks about these in
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Cross-staff-stems#Cross-staff-stems
>
> However, this approach is not possible for me in musicxml2ly (apart from the
> fact, that I think that this is a terribly hackish workaround, but no proper
> way), because I'm already inside a voice and can't easily created another
> voice. The other issues I have with that workaround are that
>  - the stem length is not known at all (sometimes 20 might be required,
> sometimes only 10 and 20 would look awkward), so i can't automate this
> setting
>  - The no-flag does not work at all for beamed chords
>
> I'm attaching a sample which displays these problems.
>
> In short, as this is no option for me, is there any other / better way to
> split a chord upon two staves and produce the result as shown in the attached
> file 14c-StaffChange-Finale-Ref.pdf (created in Finale)?

Hi Reinhold,

This is a known limitation in Lily. And, yes, the workaround is hackish.

Unfortunately, I know of no better way to create cross-staff chords
than the documentation you point to in the manual.

I'm just finishing a score with cross-staff chords, so I know what
you're going through. If any of the developers are looking for a
sponsored project, I would be happy to help sponsor this improvement
at some point in the future.

Trevor.

--
Trevor Bača