Re: Beginner question

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Re: Beginner question
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 03:31:53 +0100

On 31.10.2007 (18:45), Jocke wrote:
> Aha, there should be a space there, okay. :-) Thanks! But one more thing.
> That underscore thing in the notation thing, I want it to be shorter. It
> streches so long to other notes. For example, in this code, the underscore
> between the word "och" streches to E. I just want it to stretch to under the
> second A there.

First of all: notes that are tied together count as one syllable.
Second: the extender should stretch for as many syllables as you
specify, i.e. with single underscores separated by spaces after a
syllable: "ba -- ch __ _ _ _" would have an extender stretching under
four syllables. In Jo -- hann __ Se -- ba -- sti -- an the extender
will stretch for as long as that syllable lasts -- in your case, that
would mean over the two tied notes.
However, as you note, it goes one note further, which looks odd. In
this case, the reason for this behaviour seems to be that this is the
last syllable in your lyrics. The docs state that the extender goes
between a syllable and the next one. This does seem to be a minor bug,
though, which may not be of practical consequence, since the case in
your example is probably very rare in practice, but if it's a bug, it
should nevertheless be looked into.
Thirdly: there is a way around this, if you desperately want the
lyrics to end with an extender while there is still music left: use a
phrasing slur "a\( a\)"  instead of the tie "a ~ a". That way, the
notes will be counted as two syllables, and when the extender
stretches "too far" it will still stretch only as far as you want it.

Lastly: watch your mouth; your lyrics aren't exactly appropriate for
such a splendid piece of software, are they ;-)

> \version "2.10.33"
>
> \score {
>
>   <<
>     \relative c'' {
>       \key g \major
>
>       | a4 ~ a b2 | a4 ~ a e c
>       | e4 c e f | e4 e8[ c] b2 \bar "|:" \break
>       | a'4 b ces bis | a4 b8[ a] f2
>       | e4 c e f | e4 e8[ c] b2 \break
>       | a'4 a b2 | a4 a b2
>       | d,4 e b'8[ a] f4 | e1 \bar "|."
>     }
>
>     \addlyrics {
> ba -- js och __
>     }
>
>     \addlyrics {
> bajs två tre f -- e -- s
>     }
>
>   >>
>   \layout { }
>   \midi {}
>   }
>
> %%% Local Variables:
> %%% coding: utf-8
> %%% End:
>
> --

C-3PO:
        I do believe they think I am some kind of god.
Han Solo:
        Well, why don't you use your divine influence and
        get us out of this?
C-3PO:
        I beg your pardon General Solo, but that just
        wouldn't be proper.
Han Solo:
        Proper???
C-3PO:
        It's against my programming to impersonate a deity.