microtones for makkam music notation

From: D. Venizeleas
Subject: microtones for makkam music notation
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:41:15 +0100

Hello,

I have seen an older discussion between Adam Good and Han-Wen
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-10/msg00028.html) about
implementing microtone support more completely.
The latest lilypond documentation (2.11.33) doesn't tell about significant
steps on this issue.
As playing turkish makkam music, to me it would be preferable to be able to
notate in the way most turkish musicians use the microtone notation - I can't
attach a scanned image (due to message size restrictions).

There seems not to be any consensus about the notation of microtones in
general. I suppose e. g. that Arabic microtones are noted slightly
differently than turkish ones (the arabic tone system is different).

Could it be a viable implementation to give the user the ability to select the
accidental, the pitch and the corresponding glyph he wants to use for a
specific case of microtone notation?

E. g.
cesF cesB cesS cesK
cisF cisB cisS cisK

for the turkish system (describing the 1, 4, 5, or 8 kommata  intervals; 2-3
kommata is not used, 9 is already available in standard notation-it's the
double sharp resp. double-flat.)

Also a notation of the microtone accidentals at the beginning of a score would
be useful; of course it can't be in the way of "D major", because I think
there is no harmonic concept in turkish music, but rather a scale based one.

Hopefully I did not bore anyone, but I need this feature and in no
other notation system microtones are considered at all. I would also
contribute monetarily, to support the work, if it is appropriate.

Regards

Dimitris
PS: I'm not a programmer