Re: Newbie question about variable durations

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Re: Newbie question about variable durations
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 20:51:50 +0100

Op zaterdag 3 november 2007, schreef Ben:
> I thought I had this figured out, but now I'm stuck. My program generates
> midi notes and converts them to lily variables (ie noteone = {ees'} ). What
> I need to do next is add my durations onto them. It seems so simple but I
> get error after error.

Yes, you can't simply write
\noteone4
to get ees'4 when \noteone is set to {ees'}

this has bitten me as well, and it is caused by the fact that \noteone is not
just some string, but a fully-fledged music expression.

I have no simple solution. I think it would involve writing a small scheme
function to take a music expr and replaces it's duration.

You could maybe look at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Music-functions

Met vriendelijke groet,
Wilbert Berendsen