Re: How do you pronounce "LilyPond"?

From: Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos
Subject: Re: How do you pronounce "LilyPond"?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:34:15 GMT

> From: "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden>

[...]
> A few days ago, I was wondering how the "LilyPond" name is supposed to
> be pronounced, and I've just seen that Francisco has the same problem.
> For example, do you guys pronounce the "i" as in "life" or as in
> "kill"?

Since Lilypond is derived from two common english words, the sound file is
less necessary, all you have to do is grab a dictionary...

The phonetics for Lily in the Oxford dictionary is [lili], both "i" are just
like the one in "kill", but I guess it could also be [lIli], the first "i"
may be a little less open than regular "i", just as the "i" in "kill",
"little" or "sh**" sometimes are.
In any case, it is never [ai] nor [i:] (long "i" as in "sheet"). For us,
speakers of latin languages, we must close the "i" (close the eye :-)
a little bit, because our "i"s sound to english speakers a bit like [i:].

I'm also pretty sure that when I presented Lilypond to my english professor
he pronounced it [lili]...
He also commented for a long time what a charming name it was...

Miguel Ramos,
Lisboa